A teaching internship gives you the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in a school and find out what teaching is really like. You’ll experience being in a classroom, gain new skills, and be paid £300 per week.
Teaching internships take place during June and July. Places fill up quickly.
Teaching internships are only available for certain subjects. To take part, you’ll need to be studying for a degree related to the subject you want to teach.
Expand the heading below to find out more about the STEM internship programme.
Stem Internship Programme
This Department for Education Get into Teaching funded scheme offers STEM undergraduates interested in teaching Computing, Maths or Physics the opportunity to gain invaluable school experience.
Interns will receive a £300/week bursary for the three-week programme, totalling £900.
In addition to the generous bursary, participants’ opportunities will include:
- Discovering the power of teaching to improve the life chances of students
- Obtaining practical experience in the classroom
- Being involved in the whole school experience
- Experiencing outstanding teacher training
- Developing skills for their CV
- Receiving guidance and support with a teacher training application
Undergraduates may be eligible for a paid teaching internship if they are:
- In any year of a STEM undergraduate degree e.g. Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or Maths
- Interested in teaching secondary Computing, Physics or Maths
STEM internship programmes in the Chafford Hundred Teaching School Hub area - June/July 2022
In the Chafford Hundred Teaching School Hub area (Basildon, Brentwood, Castle Point, Maldon, Rochford, Southend & Thurrock), two STEM internship programmes are being offered for June/July 2022.
These programmes offer STEM undergraduates interested in teaching secondary Computing, Maths or Physics the opportunity to gain invaluable school experience.
Click below to find out more about each internship:
The Appleton School - Benfleet Team Supporting All (BTSA)
Contact: Maxine Howard email@example.com
South Essex Training & Support Alliance (SETSA)
Contact: Emma Lowne firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about teaching internships, including details of internships in other areas, is available on the DfE Get into Teaching website.